Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pallet Picnic Table

Pallet Picnic Table



I have seen loads of projects on Pintrest of things to do with pallet wood. The good thing about pallet wood is that it is free (usually) and all more or less cut to the same size.
Many years ago my dad had a little side business making picnic tables, there are many memories of playing bows and arrows on the driveway filled with beer garden furniture...
So, lets make a PICNIC TABLE FROM A PALLET! I shouted to the world one sunny morning...
After convincing my wife not to have me sectioned, I then set about preparing the wood...



When I said 'preparing the wood', the biggest task of the whole project was removing all the damned nails... Hundreds of the little rusty buggers. However, I did have some help... :-)


But once done I had some fairly decent timber to work with...


Starting with the table top, i laid out 5 planks and then glued on two cross pieces of 2x2. (spare timber, not from a pallet, just lying around...)


When the glue is set, fix down properly with screws.

I then set about making the legs, planks from the pallet for the legs themselves, and another two pieces of 2x2 for the cross pieces.
There was a lot of measuring-by-eye with this project. I laid the legs on top of the tabletop to line them up. Pallet wood is NEVER straight, so you cannot really expect to mark out too accurately...



I then screwed the legs onto the outer face of the tabletop cross pieces. I then fit diagonal supports from the table top to the legs. Cutting the angles for these took a bit of patient work with the tenon saw.

Last stage was to add the remaining planks from the pallet to make the seats.

Wherever it seemed a bit wobbly I just added more screws. We have had many nice little picnics on this. Ideal height for my little boy, but adults can sit on it too if needed. Happy days!



No comments:

Post a Comment